Aaaahhh!!! Itchy!! Poison Oak attacks!
Until two days ago I thought I was immune to the symptoms brought about by exposure to urushiol, the oily substance that coats the leaves of poison oak. I was wrong. I have two tiny blisters on my right forearm that appeared after spending a day clearing brush for the chicken coop and running on heavily overgrown forest trails. Neither mark is larger than a couple sesame seeds clumped together but they are making me crazy!
I keep a soap specifically formulated to disperse urushiol in the shower, and I use it when I know I’ve been exposed to poison oak, but I didn’t see the plant this time around and failed to take preventative measures. Plus, I really, really didn’t think it was an allergen for me. Maybe I’m one of those folks who become more susceptible with age and exposure.
Itchy!!! Does anyone have a good treatment?